Yummy Garden Fresh Olive tossed Salad – Winning Entry from Saloni Bhandari
Prep Time:30 minutes
- 1/2 cup Black Ripe Pitted Olives, drained, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Naturals Green Pitted Olives, drained, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/4 sweet onion (or white onions), diced
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 small green zucchini, unpeeled, and diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives(or green stalks of spring onions) thinly sliced or 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl combine olives, carrot, sweet onion, cucumber, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, parsley and chives(or spring onions).
- Add lemon peel, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil to bowl; mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Makes approximately 5 cups,Serving Size: 1/2 cup
These Mediterrenean tree-plucked fruits have been used from the days of the Egyptians.They are high in heart-healthy monosaturated fats that shrink the risk of atherosclerosis. Add olives & olive oil to your diet to help maintain a healthy heart & lovely skin as they contain vitamins, antioxidants & omega 3 fatty acids. Olives Help reduce harmful cholesterol levels as well. Studies have shown that consumption of olives ensures healthy heart benefits such as reduced harmful cholesterol level. It also has anti-inflammatory, antihypertensive, antithrombotic as well as vasodilatory effects in humans and animals.
Add them to your diet : Add olives to salads,dressings,dips,pizzas or simply pop them into your mouth as a delicious snack. Do keep in mind that extra virgin olive oil should never be heated and should be used only for salads,pasta etc
Use regular olive oil for stir frying or pan frying.Know more about the 4 type of olive oils https://prakritiherbals.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/different-types-of-olive-oil-when-to-use-which-one/
Olives and Olive oil for skin and hair care:
Olive Oil reduces acne breakouts and opens clogged pores.Olive oil contains natural anti-oxidants and vitamins and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. Secondly, olive oil also acts as a moisturizer, so it prevents the dry flaking that leads to acne breakouts.Thirdly, and perhaps the most important fact of all is that olive oil doesn’t clog pores and in fact dissolves the impurities inside closed pores. Hence when you cleanse your face with olive oil , it won’t leave behind residue that will clog pores and lead to acne breakouts.
Olives are very high in iron content which reduce anaemia and help boost up the immune system as well as anaemia can cause severe hair loss as well.Olive oil combats dandruff which is usually caused by a flaky dry scalp by infusing moisture&preventing flaking.
So do your heart ,skin &hair a big favour…….Use olive oil instead of butter,margarine or regular oils while cooking &even as a daily snack.